Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Heart is Heavy

On Sunday night I saw on the news that a former student of mine died on Lake Marion when he was struck by lightening that seemed to his friends and family to be from a distant storm. I looked at the picture of the 19 year old on the screen and could see the 8th grade Korey looking back at me through the same eyes. He had grown up, but it was definitely the Korey that sat in my classroom 6 years ago. As a middle school teacher, I meet a lot of kids. Most I teach, and some are friends and siblings of those I teach. Over the past 7 years I have taught over 400 students. I am good with names and faces, so I would like to think that I would know most of them if I ran into them. But there are some students who stick out to me not because I taught them, but because they taught me. Korey was in a great class of students when I taught him, and he and another boy, Erik, really made an impression on me that year. Korey had trouble in math previously, and I piloted an inclusion class with his group that year. Korey was so excited and determined to succeed, and he did. He was such a hard worker and filled with respect for his teachers and peers. He taught me at an early stage in my teaching that when students are motivated and engaged they can achieve anything. Korey was such a happy kid, and I know that he will be missed by his friends and family.

Monday morning my mom called to tell me that my Uncle Gerald had died. My dad's sister, Aunt Linda had just emailed us last week to tell us that Uncle Gerald would be coming home from the rehabilitation center. It was exciting that he was finally coming home, but also a challenge to help him continue his recovery from home. Needless to say, Uncle Gerald's death was a complete shock to everyone! Uncle Gerald and Aunt Linda have had such a strong faith throughout their lives. A couple of years back Uncle Gerald had a major stroke, and the doctors didn't give him much hope of returning to a normal life. I remember Aunt Linda telling us that they were praying for a full recovery and nothing less. She had such a strong faith that God was going to heal Uncle Gerald, and He did! Uncle Gerald didn't return to his previous job, but he was back in most every other way. Our prayers for healing turned to prayers of praise. I was personally touched by Aunt Linda and Uncle Gerald during that time period. I was amazed how strong their whole family was. Now that Uncle Gerald is at peace with Jesus, I pray that Aunt Linda, Scott, Jenny, Juanita, Makaela, and Jerry will find the strength to rejoice in the memories they have made with my Uncle Gerald and to take his legacy of faith forward in their lives.

No comments: