I have been wanting to write about Caedyn's adoption for a while now. I have a mental list of all the people who were involved, events that happened, and feelings we felt. I haven't written one word mainly because it is so overwhelming to me, but also because it is such a special thing to me and I am afraid of "messing up the details." And I am a procrastinator - reason #1!
Anyway, on Mary's blog, she did a survey about a bucket list and one of her choices was to change someone's life. Being a teacher, I would love to thing that I am making a positive impact on students' lives, and I hope that I am. But teaching isn't a job where you really ever know or see the difference you make. I never really thought that I could change someone's life except through teaching, but I think that I may have.
Sometime in April (I think) I went to get my oil changed at the dealership. A lady signed me in and took my key, and she asked me about my kids. (I have two car seats in the van!) I told her about Caedyn and Eli, who was a tiny baby then, and she commented on how close in age they were. I said my normal comment, "Yeah, we adopted our oldest and had no idea we would become the stereotypical adoptive family." (Meaning that once you adopt you get pregnant.) So this service lady started asking about Caedyn's adoption, and I love talking about it. So I told her how we had such a great experience. Come to find out she has a son about Caedyn's age that she had after having much persistence. Now she was ready to have another child, and adoption was the avenue she was pursuing. She had started looking into it at the time that I met her, and was beginning to feel frustrated. When I told her of how great our attorney was and how easy his assistant made everything for us, she got really excited.
So, right before school started, I went back to get my oil changed again. I had not thought about this girl in so long, but she walked right into the waiting room, called me by name and gave me a big hug. She said that she had just found out the week before that she has a birth mother. Her son will be born the first week in October. She said it was all because of me. I know how it feels to be able to identify the little pieces of the puzzle that God puts in place so that your baby can be with you. I am so touched that the Lord used me to bring a baby boy home to his family.
Hopefully as a teacher I am also changing some lives, and maybe one day a student will come find me and tell me how I have done so in their life. For now, knowing I have changed one family's life is more than enough. Please pray for my new friend and her growing family. Also pray for the birth mother who loves her baby so much to be able to give him a wonderful family. There is so much emotion that goes into an adoption. It is so hard and so joyful at the same time. I am so excited to be able to be a part of someone else's adoption story!
9 comments:
That's so sweet - brought tears to my eyes. You never told me about this. Did you get a way to stay in touch with this lady? -- Amy
You have influenced the lives of so many! I have felt so blessed to have you as my cousin, you have been supportive and always a good example.
Your family is so lucky to have you!
That's a sweet story... thanks for making me cry.
Melissa,
That's amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your story. I cannot personally ever know what you have been through, but I do know that your love for your children is like no other!
HUGS!
Kelly
It's so funny you should post this now. Yesterday as your daddy and I played w/Caedyn & Eli, he asked her, "Caedyn, how'd we get so lucky?" Of course, she didn't have a clue what he was talking about. But sometimes I think I just can't get my head around how it is that she is here...right here!!! And then to become a big sister. And to add to your story for those who don't know, you were introduced to the attorney group about the same way by a man I work w/adopting the same week you and G decided to adopt. You have to write more about all this in "The Book."
I love you ALL!
CiCi (Mom)
wow that is so wonderful! isn't it amazing how god works and that he put you there specifically to talk to her!
i hope ya'll are doing well and i love and miss you too!
The post brought tears to my eyes, too. Melissa, I think this would make a GREAT article for Guideposts magazine. What do you think?
Kevin
Oh WOW! That is the only thing I can think of to say about that story! What a testimony that God brought Caedyn into your lives and then used you to help bring a sweet baby into someone else's life! That is so awesome!
This is the best story ever!! You have truely been used by god to bless someone else. Not only have you brought her baby to her, but you have brought this baby into a wonderful and loving family. Even though I don't know you...I want to say thank you as "the lady from the dealership's" friend! She deserves this baby more than she wants him. You have been a true blessing:) God Bless you and your family!
Post a Comment