Friday, August 22, 2008

Three Days Down; 177 To Go!

I hate when teachers count down the year. It makes it seem like they don't really want to be there, but I was looking for a title for this post. Life this week has been all about school starting back, so I thought I would title it so. Here are the highlights:

1. I have decided that I prefer teaching 8th graders. I keep going back and forth between which grade I like better, 7th or 8th. I had thought that I like 7th grade students better and 8th grade curriculum better, but no! I like 8th grade overall! Last year it was hard to connect with my students because they don't get my humor. I can be pretty funny when I want to, and already this year I can tell that these 8th graders are going to be fun. Don't get me wrong, I am a strict teacher with the highest of expectations, but I like to have fun with the kids too.

2. I am teaching 2 Pre-Algebra classes, 1 Algebra class, and 1 Language Arts class. Now I can teach math in my sleep and I can tell you the standards for most grade levels, but ELA is a different story. I can teach it and I have taught it I think four previous years, but it is hard for me. I feel like a first year teacher with the amount of time it is taking me to plan ELA. I am not enjoying that!

3. Caedyn missed daycare Monday. She has been well for 5 months, since Eli was born. Two weeks back at daycare, and she got sick! Go figure! Fortunately, she has recovered pretty quickly. Eli got a little runny nose, and I was stuffy with a sore throat yesterday. Hopefully that will be the extent of the initiation to daycare. RIGHT!!

4. Eli ate carrots for the first time tonight. He wasn't so sure about them. He didn't gag, but he made some crazy faces!

5. It is funny to see that my other teacher-friends' blogs have also slowed down production over the last two weeks. Another school year begins.

6. I have connected with one of my very best friends, Piper, from elementary school through Facebook. I don't do anything with Facebook other than look at other people's pages, but it has been interesting to "see" people from middle school and high school. My page just directs people to this here blog. Who knows what people think about it, but this is me!

7. Gary's cousin, Mary has started a blog. I found out about her blog on Facebook too! She is extremely creative and talented, so check it out. I will add her to the Blog List on the right too.

Well, I guess that is it. Sorry that my entries have been so BLAH recently. I know I keep promising to post pics, but I am low on time these days. Maybe this weekend will result in a wonderful post, or maybe not! We'll see!

1 comment:

Mary Conklin said...

You mentioned me! I had forgotten that you had a blog! It was nice to be able to show off pictures of the babies to my boyfriend... ;)

Love you, keep in touch!