Thursday, June 5, 2008

Skinny Moms

The highchair is good for many things. That is the only place I can do Caedyn's hair. It is a great restraining system. Of course those cute bows only lasted about 30 seconds. Gotta take pictures fast! May 2008

Okay so I sat down about an hour ago to do this blog topic and the blogspot had a mind of its own. I guess it knew that I needed to be packing our stuff for the pool party at Kay's. So now that the bag and cooler are packed in the van, I have my sunscreen on and I am just waiting on Caedyn to wake up from her nap - the blog is letting me write!



Before I was a mom, I would look at all the skinny moms and wish and hope that I could be a skinny mom one day too. Well, I never really thought I would be a skinny mom - and I am not! But I have figured out why moms are so skinny. Here are my theories.



When you have a tiny little baby it never fails that they need a bottle at the exact time you sit down to eat, so you are doing the one-handed bottle feeding while trying to eat what you can with the other hand. By the time the baby is done, your food is cold and your arms are both exhausted from the contortions you had to perform.



Then your baby gets to eat baby food! Yay - right? Well not so fast. Now when you eat, your baby also eats. So you are taking bites between feeding the baby pureed peas and scraping sweet potatoes off her mouth just to put back them back in to see if they will stay.



At about 8 months old, your baby starts to get a mind of her own! She has figured out how to manipulate objects. It is so much fun to pick up spoons, puffs, mashed potatoes, and sippy cups off the floor while your food sits untouched. When you go out to eat you are trying to keep food in baby's mouth and off the floor because she has also found her voice. Squealing is the sound of choice, especially when the spoon slides under the next table!



By one year, you have to really be on your toes because that baby is mobile, and wants OUT! She can get through a meal without throwing things (yeah right) but whens she is done, she uses her hands to swipe off the high chair tray in order to tell you that she is DONE! Now she wants down, and will squirm and squeal until she is released from the holds of the highchair. This is really a lot of fun in a resteraunt because you see, you have only been there about 10 minutes and have just placed your drink orders.



Now your baby is a 15 month old toddler and has a new baby brother! She can pretty much tell you what she likes to eat and doesn't like, but that changes not only day to day but meal to meal. She ate corn last night, so you get the leftover corn out for lunch the next day. She lets you put it in her mouth, but it comes right back out. This trick is even better with Spaghetti O's, her favorite meal until she doesn't have a bib on. How many shirts have we ruined over Spaghetti O's? Oh yeah, the baby boy is crying and the pacifier is not doing the trick anymore. That toddler is a MESS, the high chair is a mess, the floor is a mess, and did you get to eat yet?
April 2008


Now your toddler is 18 months old. She is not too picky anymore and really likes to eat whatever you are eating. So, even if she is perfectly behaved, she is going to have part of your meal - a big part it turns out! And while she is eating your food, you have to tend to the baby who is now 3 months old and wanting someone's attention!



These are of course only theories because I am not a skinny mom! I am only guessing this must be what it is like for them. I of course have plenty of time to eat three square meals a day plus a couple of snacks. I even get to go grocery shopping once a week, and I cook six nights out of the week! (LOL!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. I guess that explains why I'm now gaining weight. I'm finally getting to eat. Enjoy the meal times--regardless of where the food ends up. These days will pass so fast. It seems like yesterday that you were eating/wearing "prits" (grits) and Amy was eating/wearing "eatmeal" (oatmeal). Ahh, the days!
Mom