I am not sure that it is wisdom, but thought I would share some tips.
1. This is the time of year to get colorful room decor for cheap! Wal-Mart has the hot colors (pink, green, aqua, orange, etc.) in lamps, mirrors, frames, pillows, etc. I like to add a punch of color to Caedyn's room this time of year with these cheap finds for college-bound kids. (Of course Target has great stuff too!)
2. This is also a great time to stock up on school supplies. If you aren't a teacher like me then think ahead to birthdays. What great and inexpensive birthday favors! A whole box of crayons for $0.25! Add a little notepad or activity book and you are set! I don't have to buy much this year for my classroom since I did so much last year, but I LOVE buying school supplies, so I am going to buy some and donate to a supply-drive. For just $10, you can just about get all a kid needs this time of year, but that doesn't last all year. We teachers wish they had this sale about 3 times a year so that our kids could afford to continue to bring their own supplies to school.
3. Remember moms and dads that if your child's shoulders are above the straps on their forward facing car seat then you need to move the straps up. If they're already on the highest slot, time for a booster! I get so nervous when I see kids in seats incorrectly or in seats too small for them or out of the car seat too early! Keep your kids safe people! Keep the instructions for your seat and refer to them regularly so you know when your child has outgrown it. (By the way it seems like there are few options for a booster with harness that is affordable and safe! We got the GRACO Nautilus and love it, but now we need to find one for Gary's parents. Should we get a cheaper version or the same one we have and my mom has?)
4. So anyway, Caedyn has been in a booster with a 5-point harness for several months now. I had to separate the kids when they started hitting each other and putting their feet on one another and screaming at each other everywhere we went. So I also decided to switch them to make daycare easier. I put Caedyn behind me and unlatch her then close the door. I go around to the passenger's side to get Eli out and Caedyn gets out on that side too. Going out to the car is easier too, I open the one door and they both get in. Caedyn climbs in her seat and gets as buckled as she can then I come and latch the bottom part when I go around to my side. Here is the tip: Caedyn was having a hard time climbing into her seat (We have a van.) So I put a little plastic stool in front of her seat and she can do it herself!!
5. Look for Box Tops on your groceries! Save them and donate them to a school who collects them. I didn't know until late in the year that our school collects them, and now I have become almost obsessive about saving them. I went to Gary's parents and saw their Zip-Loc bags, and wanted to cut out the Box Top right then! You will find them on Avery binders and other school/office supplies, Huggies, Hefty, ZipLoc, Yoplait, General Mills, Grands, Cottonelle, Scott, Juicy Juice, Betty Crocker, Nature Valley, Pillsbury, Bisquick, Kotex, and so many more! Visit the site listed in my "Sites I Frequent" list on the right sidebar for more info! The tip: I open up as many of the boxes as possible when I get home from the grocery store and put things away as individual items. That way I can clip as many of the box tops right from the grocery store when it is fresh on my mind. I keep a tiny galvanized bucket on the counter to collect them until I remember to take them in to school. I have also gotton in the habit of not throwing away anything until I inspect it for a box top!
6. I have put all the kids' CD's on an MP3 player so that it can go where they go instead of loading up the CD's. It has worked well except for the time it ran out of juice in the middle of "This Little Light of Mine." Major Meltdown!
Well, that it all the wisdom I have to offer today! Once again, sorry I can't be brief! Happy Wednesday!
No comments:
Post a Comment