Friday, April 2, 2010

The Reason for the Season

I am responsible for doing the devotion for tomorrow's Easter Egg Hunt at church. I have been researching online, and ended up putting together my own message with sparks of inspiration from the various sources I came across.

I stumbled across this article. It has some great ideas for bringing the Reason back into our holiday seasons as well as continuing to celebrate Jesus and witness to others all year long.

Check it out. It is a pretty quick read. And Happy Easter! I hope the bunny is good to you if he is visiting your house (read the article)!

3 comments:

margaret said...

I DON,T ESPICALLY AGREE WITH THIS WRITING. THE WISE MEN BROUGHT GIFT S TO JESUS AND CHRISTMAS IS A TIME FOR GIVING AND SHARING AND EASTER IS A NEW BEGINNING. I THINK WE ALL JUST GO OVERBOARD WITH GIFTS FOR ALL OCCASIONS, BD CHRISTMAS ELC BUT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GIVING GIFTS AT CHRISTMAS AND LETTING THE CHILDREN ENJOY EASTER BUNNIES AND EGGS. YOU STILL TEACH THEM WHAT CHRISTMAS AND EASTER IS ALL ABOUT.

Keith, Kristin, Ava Grace, and Will said...

Yes, I struggle with that- trying not to let the festivities and gifts overshadow the true meaning of the holiday. I don't know where the balance is, but I like some of the author's suggestions.

Melissa said...

I agree with you both, Nana and Kristin. Like the author said, some of my favorite childhood memories are from waking up on Christmas and Easter mornings to see what loot was left for us. I don't see us changing that tradition, however, I love some of the other ideas - GOTYA days sound like my kind of fun! I love planning things with a theme, so I could totally do some GOTYA days (from the article) and celebrate how "God Made You Special!" (from Veggie Tales - not the article!) I especially love how the author's kids had such an easy way to witness to others - such a cool way to witness too!