Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tuesday's Tip (on Wednesday)

I missed last Tuesday and then let yesterday get by me too! Oh NO! Well, I am back with a great tip!
How many of you have a magazine habit? I love magazines especially the parenting and family magazines. It makes me feel so much better when I read articles about kids who behave just like mine! It reassures me that we are normal! So, what do you do with all of those mags? I just can't trash them or recycle them! I may want to look back through them - like in October when I am looking for costume ideas! Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had a basket over-flowing with the last 3 years of magazines beside the couch in the den.
Several months ago I read somewhere, maybe one of those magazines, about someone who uses magazine file boxes labeled by season for sorting recipes! I don't cook by season like some do because I only have limited skills in the kitchen and can't afford to store away recipes until the right season comes along! BUT, I thought of many ideas for these file boxes (I guess that is what they are called!) This summer Wal-Mart had cute colors that match my decor so well, and I waited them out until they went on clearance this fall. I got each box for like $1.50! And I used them to sort my mags - genious huh! I love when I can use something for what it was intended. I have6 of them and keep most of them on the top shelf of our office space with the current one on the shelf below. It works great!



Another idea I had for these type boxes is to store kids' artwork by month/season. I will share an artwork display tip next Tuesday! (How is that for a teaser?!)

Two weeks ago you all had great ideas for plastics storage! My favorite one was to number the tops and the lids. I have some genuine Tupperware that attempted that, but I could never seem to find both pieces at the same time. I have also determined that buying one brand seems to be a great idea because then you have somewhat universal tops. The Rubbermaid containers that snap onto each other and where the lids snap to the bottoms have a just a couple of lid sizes but various container sizes. Good luck with the Tupperware cabinet!

Your Turn! I want to know what you do with CD's and DVD's! As you can see in the pics above, we have TONS of them! Gary and I were in HS and college in the 90's, so we really have 100's of CD's. RIght now they are stacked like you see in the pictures along one whole shelf in our office area. I don't like it, but I also am not ready to let Alanis Morissette, Matchbox 20, Sublime, The Wallflowers, Savage Garden (ha!), Lost and Found, FFH, or any of the rest go! We also have DVD's stored similarly! So, tell me what do you do with your non-digital media? Leave a comment to share your ideas!

1 comment:

margaret said...

Melissa, you are your mothers child, saving things and organizing
My magazines are lucky if they last for the month. If I kept things I wouldn,t know where they were so I say why keep them. I deffitenly not an organizer like my daughters. They must have gotten that from their Father.
Nana