Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday's Tip

Is it really Tuesday again? I am so off this week - and it is early in the week!

Check out Heather's comment from last Tuesday's Tip request. She stores her bags in baskets at the top of the master closet! Great idea! I am now on the lookout for tubs/baskets that will fit in that space in our closet! Thank you Heather!

I am giving you all a sock tip today. My kids are only 15 months apart and although I have one boy and one girl, they wear similar sock. So, I buy socks that seem gender neutral when possible and store them all in a drawer in the kids' bathroom. They both wear the same size shoe now, so sharing socks makes laundry SO much easier! Keeping them in the bathroom keeps me sane works well for us too because they are easily accessible to both kids. I also keep a mesh bag in the drawer for my single socks. Then when I have more singles, I check the bag to see if I can pair some up. I have also used the mesh bag to wash all the socks in and to keep them together, but now that the kids put their own clothes in the laundry basket, the socks just go in the laundry with everything else.

So now it is your turn! This week I need some help with the paper trail. What do you do with receipts? Whick do you keep and for how long? Where do you keep them? How do you sort them or do you? I need your help peeps! So leave a comment with your tips for me!

Also, check out Its Almost Naptime for Missy's Mom-to-Mom Link Up. All the names at the bottom of that post link to other moms who have left great tips!

1 comment:

The Burleys said...

I love doing this! I hope other people comment, too.

Jason is so organized with our checkbook and receipts. We have a small plastic container, about the size of a folded up receipt, that sits on our desk. You could probably find one in any store in the desk organization section. Jason writes down all of our debit receipts in the checkbook, holds them together a binder clip and stores them in that container. He keeps them until the monthly statement comes in, then goes through and compares each one to the checking statment to make sure what actually came out of our acct, what was written on the receipt (esp in the case of tips at restaurants), and what was written in the checkbook match and that everything balances out. Then he tosses them.

For receipts on items for which we've paid cash - it depends. If it's something we know will not need to be returned, we toss it. If it's something like clothes for the kids, I'll keep those until I make sure the item fits (esp since I so often buy out of season). Or something like a Target receipt we hold on to for a while b/c they're so stinkin' annoying about returns w/out one. For these things, I keep a small stack on my dresser under a memory box that sits there so I don't see it and it doesn't look junky. I go through and clean it out periodically.

With grocery receipts - I have one of the tiny accoridan files that fits in a kitchen drawer labeled by month. I keep those receipts four months back just in case a good rebate or something comes up that I need them for.