Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bye Bye October - Hello Fall!

Fall is my FAVORITE time of year! It is my mom's and maybe even my dad's too! I love the smell of the fall air. It smells like camping to me, and I love it! October came in pretty warm and muggy, but it is nice and brisk in the evenings and the humidity seems to be lifting! We have really been taking advantage of the fall activities this month. Since I haven't kept up with the blog recently, I will just post the pictures. That is the best part anyway!

Saturday, October 4th:

Gary left for Vegas early Saturday morning, so after the kids got up and fed, I took them to my parent's house to get a photo shoot with the hay. They had the hay in their field harvested for the first time, and we got some great shots!







Later that afternoon, Momma and I took the kids to Country Adventures for the October Adoptive Families Group event. Caedyn rode a horse, we browsed the petting farm, took a hayride, we got tiny pumpkins for her and Eli, had a hot dog roast, and played at the pond. It was a lot of fun!




October 18th - 19th:

On Saturday we went to Windy Hill Orchard. I had heard about it from Lisa and then read about it somewhere (I thought it was Heather's blog, but now I can't find it), so we went to check it out during their annual Apple Festival. Although we didn't see anyone we knew, we were there at the same time as Lisa and her crew as well as Amanda and her family. Check out their blogs to see their pictures too. We had so much fun tasting apples, cider, cider donuts, picking out a pumpkin and choosing our apples, playing on the haystacks, chasing chickens, and waiting on the tractor to take us on a hayride. Grandma and G-Pop went along too. They actually inspired us to actually take the trip. They wanted to take Caedyn, and I said, "How about we all go!" It is definetly a trip we will have to make a tradition.




Home with her loot: a pumpkin and 6 apples.


On Sunday we went Trunk-or-Treating at church. The kids were clowns. Caedyn dressed up in a costume that my mom made for me when I was about 2, so I guess she was a vintage clown. We had lots of fun. Amy and Adam came with Taylor who was a giraffe, and my mom set up the little table and chairs for her trunk-or-treat which came in real handy in feeding Eli. I guess he has had his first tailgating experience.




October 25th -26th:

The next weekend Gary and our dads put together a SWING SET! I did a lot of research and talking with people. I even looked into getting help in designing and building our own simple A-Frame to hang a couple of swings from. In the end we knew that the kids would want a slide too, so we bought the Adventure Pathfinder from Wal-Mart for $400. I really think it is the best deal around! You can spend $2000 + for the same set at hardware stores, but we figured even if we have to replace ours 3 times we wouldn't have spent that much. And when we move, we don't have to worry about leaving a huge investment behind. It is really sturdy and I can't tell a difference between the other more expensive sets. Most importantly Caedyn LOVES it! We still have to finish the picnic table and put the tarps over the fort, but she swings and slides 'till her heart is content! We couldn't be happier to see her smile!
Caedyn "helped" for about an hour before Gary's mom came to pick the kids up. She didn't have a clue what they were doing, and I wouldn't let anyone tell her because I didn't want to get her hopes up in case something didn't work out. We didn't let her see it until Sunday afternoon. She was hilarious! My mom walked into the back yard, and Caedyn told her she wanted to swing. Caedyn walked right up to the fence and pointed to the neighbor's house. You can see in the video that the adults were just as excited if not more excited for Caedyn to see her new swing!




Thursday, October 30th:

On the Eve of Halloween we carved our pumpkin. Eli couldn't join us because he was all tuckered out. Caedyn didn't know what was going on, but she did pull out a couple of
seeds. She enjoyed sitting on the table.


Friday, October 31st:

Halloween was our first official social gathering we hosted at this house. We had so much fun! Gary made taco soup, and I made doggie doo. (It's really good - just a terrible name!) We took Caedyn trick-or-treating with Cassidy and Taylor while my parents stayed at the house to hand out candy and monitor Eli (easy because he slept through the whole party!) My friend Elizabeth came over and so did my cousin Leland. We missed G-Pop (Gary's dad) because he was working a hs football game! We hope to do the same kind of thing again next year. We loved walking the street with our 3 kids, 2 wagons, and 8 adults. This neighborhood is great for trick-or-treating! We handed out pudding and chocolate candy. Leland said we were lame for handing out pudding, but Dara put it to the test and pudding won over the kids when they had to choose between M&Ms and pudding. I did the pudding thing because last year Caedyn was too young for candy and I appreciated when she got something she could actually enjoy herself. And she LOVES pudding - doesn't everyone! I think Leland is the lame one! (I love you Leland!)


.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you came all the way to York and didn't even call us? That festival is a lot of fun. We normally go but didn't make it this year. I hope you're doing well!

Kristin

kay said...

Isn't it fun seeing the world through the eyes of children.

The Cassidys said...

oh no! i can't believe we missed you guys! there were so many people there though! i hope ya'll had a good time

Anonymous said...

Leland said next year he's dressing up as Bill Cosby and trick or treating at your house (get it? "Pudding Pops"). He had a lot of fun hanging out with y'all.

kay said...

The video of Caedyn swinging is priceless. She knows how to work it, too.