Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring Break!

I was so excited about my Spring Break this year, and it has been great so far.  Of course it is going by way too quickly, but this is what we have been up to so far:

Thursday, April 5th after school we finished planting the garden.  Eli is pretty excited about the watering part!  Gary and I are hoping that we actually grow something edible.  We planted plenty!  Our "little garden" turned out much bigger than I anticipated.  Caedyn, who asked for this garden last year, didn't want much to do with it due to the gnats.  We have tons of gnats at our house!  Her remedy was to swing to keep the gnats out of her face.  That worked well for me so she was out of my way and not whining! 




 Gary got home just in time to help plant a few cabbage and broccoli plants along the fence.  I am hoping our bunnies will stay away from our garden.  So far, so good!

Caedyn was talking about the bugs all afternoon, so E said, "I wish we could have some bug juice."  Someone from soccer, I think, calls Kool-Aid type sugar drinks that.  I happened to have a pack of Kool-Aid in the pantry and he helped me make it.  I just had to take a picture of his filthy face with the Kool-Aid 'stache.  The picture really doesn't do the filth justice.  It was precious.  I just love dirty kids!  It shows they have played hard!

My mom gave the kids cute art kits from the Disney Store, so since they were already dirty, I let them paint while I fixed dinner.  They did really well and didn't make a mess at all, so I may have to relinquish some control and let them paint more often.  These were fantastic water colors too.  Not the ones we are used to from the Dollar Store or Wal-Mart.


On Good Friday, I sent the kids to daycare while I ran LOTS of errands.  I got a whole lot accomplished.  I was able to do the Prayer Walk/Walk to the Cross at church, which was a very reflective time to spend with God on such a special day.  Then I took my van in to have its 90,000 mile service.  They let me drive a 2012 Camry while they worked, so I was driving in style.  I got clothes for the kids for our family pictures, got my toes done, found a craft for the kids at Nana's to do on Easter day, found some headphones for my 5K, picked up the kids market totes that I had embroidered for their Easter gift, and squeezed in lunch in there somewhere.  After I picked up the van I did an errand for my sister and then picked the kids up.  They were excited to check on the garden, and then we went to the neighbor's yard to play.  It was a Good Friday indeed!

Saturday, I had to get up early for my first 5K.  I met my Run for God group at church at 6:30 and we got to the race site before 7:30.  It was freezing!  The batteries were out on Gary's radio I was planning to use, but fortunately there was a gas station nearby for a pit stop and batteries.  I finished the race with my sister, Amy, in 46 minutes and 10 seconds.  I am pretty excited about that time even though to most who run, that is a walker's pace.  I did actually run 35 or more minutes, but my pace got slower and slower.  At one point at the very end, Amy said she wanted to walk a little so she could run across the finish line.  I tried stopping my feet from running, but then they just wanted to stop altogether.  I told Amy, if I don't run, I will be done!  It was very exciting to actually finish the 5K after 12 weeks of training, spiritual and physical training.  Gary brought the kids to the finish line to cheer us on and my parents and Gary's parents were there too!  We had quite the cheering squad!

After the race Amy and I went shopping and then ate at Cracker Barrel.  Then we headed home to get our kids ready for the Easter Egg Hunt at Faith.  They all had a ball there!  Gary and I took the kids up to his parents to eat supper, and then brought very sleepy kids home.

Easter morning, the kids found some goodies from the Easter Bunny!







We met Gary's family at our church for the 9:00 service.  It was one of the best services I have been to in a while, which says a lot because Mt. Horeb always offers a fabulous worship experience.  I just LOVE our church!  Afterwards the whole crew headed to our home church, which none of us attend anymore, but it will always be home to us all.  We got some great shots before church.  I just love Eli's hand on his hip!


 During church my kids love to follow along in the hymnal, which isn't something we do at Mt. Horeb's contemporary service.  I was too late to catch Mr. E standing up next to Dara with his hymnal, but I caught this cute shot.

The whole family after church was over.

After the service at Faith, Gary and I took the kids to my Nana's house for the traditional Easter fare.  The kids had a ball playing outside, hiding and hunting eggs, and making sun catchers.  There are 14 great-grands now, and all but one of them is old enough to run and play.  It is so much fun for me to see my children enjoy my cousins' children.  My cousins and I grew up pretty close to each other, so I am glad that our kids will have similar relationships.

After several hours at Nana's we went to Gary's Aunt Brenda's house where a similar meal and camaraderie was awaiting us.  I actually got my camera out there.  I just LOVE these kids so much and love to see them play together so well!  Gary and I are SO fortunate to be so close to our family.  I can't imagine not having them all so nearby! (There are only a few of our family members that live out of town.)

Caedyn took this picture of one of her favorite people ever - Daryl!  Christy on the other hand...!  Well, lets just say that everyone assumed that Caedyn was cutting Christy out of this picture.  Daryl and Christy are expecting their first baby, and when I told Caedyn about it she said, "But Daryl isn't married!"  I explained that yes, he was married to Christy (who has been in our family for a LONG time, its not like she's a newbie!)  Caedyn replied with a pout, "Uh!  I was going to marry Daryl!"  It is too cute!  She just adores Daryl!  She even scored two goals at her last game just for him! 

This is Garrett trying to put bunny ears on himself.  Caedyn took these pictures too.  I couldn't figure out what he was doing.  He kept looking at the camera and telling Caedyn to try again.  He finally got those ears high enough!


This is a pic before the egg hunt at Aunt Brenda's.  I love how Corbin is peeking around the car!

 Ashley had the kids line up from youngest to oldest and gave them very detailed instructions about his egg hunt.  It was too funny!  (He didn't realize that Eli is the youngest - except for Corbin.  Cassidy is 3 months older than he is.)

 Aunt Brenda has this tire swing that my children LOVE!  Caedyn spends a lot of time on that swing.  She loves ANY swing!

Sweet picture of Corbin and Granny Bear!

Daryl and Christopher have been riding these coaster things with my kids for years now! They love it! This year Corbin was old enough to join in, and it was so cute! He can hold his own!






After an action packed Saturday and Sunday, I needed a day off.  So Monday we literally did nothing.  The kids slept until 8:30, and then we all vegged all day in front of the tube.  We all needed it pretty badly!  After nap, we finally got dressed, watered the garden, and waited for Gary to come home so we could go to Sabrina and Christopher's house for dinner.  We had spaghetti for dinner and then Christoper took the kids for a spin on his work mower.  They had fun playing outside and inside.  Garrett has a Leap Pad and Eli came up to me and said,  "Mommy, can you write down a note for Santa so I can have one of those for Christmas!"  It was too cute, and I think it was the first time he has ever really asked for anything for Christmas.  So, I guess I know what E is getting next Christmas!


Today, Tuesday, we went outside first thing this morning. I tried cleaning up while they were out there, but they came in pretty quickly after seeing a wasp in the garden! Oh the horror! I couldn't keep Eli entertained today. He kept pestering Caedyn and me and wouldn't listen to much, so he spent quite a bit of time in his room today in time out. We met Gary at EdVenture tonight to meet Woody! It was SO super-crowded, but it was worth it. Fortunately we are members, so I didn't feel like we needed to see everything while we were there. We did the scavenger hunt so Caedyn could get a hula hoop, visited a couple of exhibits briefly, and then went to wait in line for Woody! Thank goodness we went to get in line early. They said that they probably wouldn't make it through the whole line before Woody had to leave! Woody was very nice and liked that Caedyn and Eli had dressed for him!







No comments: